Sunday, January 18, 2004
Fundamentalist no more.
Dave at The Sick Soul, a spirited Lutheran blog, posts twenty reasons he "apostasized from the Fundamentalist Church." Here's the first ten:
1. I'd rather hear a woman preach than attend a morality circus.
2. I'd rather the ideology of Scripture be Liberal than the practical use of Scripture be abused.
3. I'd rather not bring my bible to church than not hear the Word spoken in church.
4. I'd rather sing old, difficult hymns of admiration to God than edgy, new songs that worship myself.
5. I'd rather share the peace of God with the people around me than gather in a circle of prayer so everyone can babble like the heathen.
6. I'd rather pay $50 a ticket for a Broadway play than tithe 10% of my income for an inferior copy.
7. I'd rather be part of a historical tradition than surf the wave of popular culture.
8. I'd rather be reminded of my baptism than reminded of the first time (of many) I uttered the sinner's prayer.
9. I'd rather join the entire congregation to kneel before the altar and receive God's grace every week than have to individually respond to an altar call every week.
10. I'd rather the colors of the sanctuary change 4 times a year than every time the church got a new pastor who had a new vision of ministry.
Amen! Make sure to read the rest.
Copyright © 2004 by Philocrites | Posted 18 January 2004 at 11:23 PM